ABOUT THE JOURNAL
The Electronic Journal of the Center of Eastern Languages and Cultures (CELC) is a project realized by the Indology Department within the Faculty of Classical and Modern Philologies of Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski". At the heart of this initiative is our desire to create and develop an authoritative specialized journal, providing better conditions for joint research between the different departments and disciplines in CELC and for expanding scientific contact opportunities for Bulgarian Orientalists nationally and internationally.
The name Manas, chosen after lengthy discussions, is a polysemantic and emblematic of Indian spiritual culture philosophical concept. Translated from Sanskrit, it means"mind; spirit, soul, heart; thought; intellect; concept; desire, intention; will" etc. We believe that in its multiple layers of conceptual meaning, the term epitomizes the quintessence not only of Indian but of Eastern wisdom. At the same time it encompasses the idea of natural human curiosity and urge for creativity that constitute the very core of every research.
The journal is the first multilingual Bulgarian scientific publication for Asian and African Studies. Its electronic online format allows for greater accessibility, interactivity and rich audio and visual illustrative materials of the publications. The main priorities in its development are:
- Establishing the thematic scope of the issues in order to stimulate scientific innovation and multiple scientific approaches;
- Emphasis on the interdisciplinary nature of the journal;
- Publishing opportunities for Bulgarian scientists as well as specialists from the region and around the world;
- Publication of studies and research with a rich illustrative body thanks to the possibilities offered by the electronic format of the journal;
- Creating a database of experts and scientific topics;
- Stimulating research with specific applicability potential;
- Establishing it as an authoritative journal in the field.
The pilot issue of the online magazine is dedicated to the culture of South Asia, firstly because the very idea of this project was born among us Indologists, and secondly, because of our intention to dedicate it to the 30th anniversary of the Indology Department in "St. Kliment Ohridski". This first issue of the journal was published in cooperation with the "East-West" Indological Foundation.
The topics for the issues of the journal to come out in 2015 will be announced soon! Stay tuned!